Renewal of the collective agreement with drivers
Negotiations based on collaboration
After several months of negotiations, the two parties have reached an agreement in principle that is beneficial to employees, the STO and customers.
The developing situation
- The collective agreement with drivers ended on December 31, 2019. The lack of a labour contract for coming on four years is due to a number of factors :
- The negotiations with the union that, at the time, represented drivers and maintenance workers began in 2019, before the end of the collective agreement. Several elements influenced the rhythm of negotiations, including a new union certification obtained in late 2019. Afterwards, in 2020, the union split into two groups, leading to the formation of Syndicat section locale 5440 representing the maintenance workers, and Syndicat Local 5910 representing the drivers. This split was formalized in early 2021.
- Syndicat section locale 5440 representing the maintenance workers was the first of the two groups to renew its collective agreement. The negotiations ran from October 2021 to May 2022.
- The negotiations for the renewal of the collective agreement with Syndicat Local 5910 representing the drivers were thus ready to begin last fall.
- The notice to bargain was tabled on June 7, 2022, and the sessions began on November 3, 2022. To date, the two parties have met some 30 times.
- On February 5, 2023, the employees voted at a meeting in favour of an initial mandate to use pressure tactics if necessary, going as far as unlimited strike action. This is standard procedure in negotiations. That mandate was renewed on November 21.
- On September 20, 2023, the STO tabled a notice of dispute that led to the appointment of a conciliator to the case by the Minister of Labour to accelerate the negotiating process. Since October 11, the conciliator has been helping the two parties work towards solutions and compromises. The STO would still like to reach an agreement as soon as possible that will improve the conditions and quality of life of drivers and the quality of service to customers.
- It should be noted that the STO falls under federal jurisdiction as it operates in two Canadian provinces. As provided in the Canada Labour Code, during the conciliation period, pressure tactics are permitted, but not strike action. On November 16, the drivers started their pressure tactics by no longer wearing their work uniform tops.
- On December 19, 2023, after several months of negotiations, the two parties reached an agreement in principle that must be approved by union members and the STO Board of Directors. The outline of the new drivers' collective agreement will then be communicated.
Press releases (In French only):
- 19-12-2023 : Renouvellement de la convention collective des chauffeurs : Une entente de principe est conclue
- 06-12-2023 : Renouvellement de la convention collective des chauffeurs d'autobus : La STO poursuit son travail afin d'en arriver à une entente bénéfique pour tous
- 21-09-2023 : Renouvellement de la convention collective des chauffeurs : La STO dépose un avis de différend afin d'en arriver à une entente bénéfique pour tous dans les meilleurs délais
Update : December 19, 2023